Receiving a Synvisc-One® (hylan G-F 20) injection is a simple, in-office procedure. After your injection, keep the following in mind.
In the first 48 hours after a Synvisc-One injection
- You should be able to resume your normal day-to-day activities
- You should avoid activities that put excessive strain on your knee such as jogging, lifting or prolonged standing
- If you have any mild pain or swelling at the injection site, place an ice pack on your knee for 10 minutes or as recommended by your doctor
In the months after an injection
- Everyone responds differently, but in a medical study,1 many patients experienced pain relief starting one month after their injection
- Synvisc-One can provide up to six months of knee pain relief
- Synvisc-One can be repeated safely. In a medical study involving 160 patients, 77 received a second injection of Synvisc-One. When your osteoarthritis knee pain returns, talk to your doctor to see if Synvisc-One is right for you.
1. Chevalier X, Jerosch J, Goupille P, et al. Single, intra-articular treatment with 6 ml hylan G-F 20 in patients symptomatic primary osteoarthritis of the knee; a randomised, multicentre, double-blind, placebo controlled trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69(1):113-119. doi:10.1136/ard.2008.094623.